All cracked up


Renowned stand-up comic Russell Peters visits Kolkata, where his mother and brother were born. He speaks to Mathures Paul about his early career, the elections in America and future projects

In North America a growing number of stand-up comics of Indian origin are becoming famous, a popular name among them is Russell Peters, who started performing in Toronto in 1989. These days he lives in Las Vegas and Los Angeles, where the environment is ‘just right’ for stand-up comics. After a long break Peters returned to India, which he doesn’t, like many celebrities of Indian origin, loosely calls his ‘hometown’. His show in Kolkata perhaps was just another show for him but his stay here surely was special to him. His father was born in Mumbai and mother in Kolkata. His elder brother, Clayton, was also born in Kolkata, making his stay a memorable one. In fact, when The Statesman caught up with him, he had a few minutes to spare before rushing off to meet his uncles.
“I have never seen stand-up comics in India. Though I know there are a few stand-up comic shows on television, I cannot compare it with the scene in Canada,” said Peters.
Nominated for four Gemini Awards, for Best Male Comic at the Canadian Comedy Awards, the stand-up comic has been featured in Just for Laughs (Juste Pour Rire) Comedy Festival, the Winnipeg Comedy Festival and the Edinburgh Festival. Peters has many feathers in his cap but his visit to India was more of a “return to childhood” exercise. “I am presenting the same show and whatever I say simply reflects my perspective. Yet, to an extent, it’s a return to childhood days.”
When Peters started performing abroad, people were apprehensive. “Especially Indians. We were not huge in numbers and everybody wondered how the majority would react. At the end of the day, whatever I do, I do it for myself. If you like it, come back for my next show, otherwise, it’s your problem!” Stand-up comics of Indian origin living abroad are more or less walking the same line but their delivery style is the distinguishing factor.
For him jokes come naturally, thanks to his upbringing. “I am from an Anglo Indian family, who were once known for their jokes. It was never a big deal cracking a few jokes. And family members never stopped me from taking up the profession. My childhood shaped my adulthood. The Canada I see today is a lot different from what it was in the 1970’s or 80’s. Back then there was an identity crisis.”
With elections in the US around the corner, this is a great time for Peters to be on stage. “I get to crack scores of jokes. People know who to vote for but will they, I wonder!”
Living in Los Angeles has changed his life quite a bit. “It’s a fun place but a difficult one to survive in. There are many stand-up comics, making competition tough. On any night, one can go up on stage and crack a bunch of jokes. If they don’t like them, the boos often turnout to be louder than cheers.” He also has a place in Las Vegas. “This is where I live. It’s a cool place and I like to hangout on the Strip.”
Next up from Mr Funny Bones is Red White And Brown. The DVD contains over two hours of bonus features, including commentaries, ‘featurettes’, deleted scenes and has material from his record-braking Homecoming Tour. Recorded live at the WAMU Theatre in Madison Square Garden on 2 February, the cover art for the DVD has been done by David Choe, who created titles for the film Juno and album cover for Jay Z vs. Linkin Park. Three weeks ago the DVD was released in Canada and hopefully it would be available in Asia soon.
“I love performing in Asia because the people are friendly. I am getting ready for a ‘Greatest Hits’ tour and hopefully I would be back in India. I know the Malaysian government won’t allow me but I am looking for dates in Hong Kong,” rounds off Peters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The drums of change

Junior Statesman

The Singer not the song